Monday, February 21, 2005

The Power of Now!

I used to have the hardest time with the concept of money few years back when I first got a job! My parents would say "SAVE, WORK HARD, SAVE." But I didn't want to be working hard at 17 to SAVE....isn't that what the next forty years are for...and if someone asked what did you do at 17 I didn't want to say I SAVED MONEY.! My parents would buy me whatever Ineeded but I always felt like they worked too hard just to save. So filled with pocket full of dollars I BOUGHT BOUGHT BOUGHT. But sooner than later material things didn't really give me any happiness for too long. So I went back to square one "Why are people crazy about money and what is it I wanted to do with my money?" But back of my mind I knew I can't just BUY BUY BUY but instead I needed to SAVE AND BUY.

My uncertainty about money continued till'..........

I came across this very simple quote. And it totally changed my life.

"The whole reason for generating money is to buy experiences."

WOW! Experiences...Not STUFF. Just one word and everything is seen differently.

"Wherever you are, be there totally. If you find your here and now intolerable and it makes you unhappy you have three options: remove yourself from the situation, change it, or accept it totally. If you want to take responsibility for your life, you must choose on of those three options, and must choose now. Then accept this consequences. No excuses, No negativity."

"All that you ever have to deal with, cope with, in real life--as opposed to imaginary mind projections--is this moment. Ask yourself what problem you have right now, not next year, tomorrow or five years from now. What is wrong with the moment? You can always cope with the now, but never with the future---nor do you have to. Answer, strength, right action or the resource will be there when you need it, not before or after."

These two quotes and the money quote from the book:

  • "THE POWER OF NOW - A GUDE TO SPIRITUAL ENLIGHTENMENT -Eckhart Tolle

Just a little side note: Whatever you do -- If you need to get this book for some reason--don't ever buy this author on a video. You could have hundred little 5 year olds in a room and I guarantee you that if you put the video of him talking they would all be asleep!

good book...read it...don't WATCH IT.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tess,
Your thoughts about saving money reminded me of this book I saw at the mall. It's called, "Money Doesn't Buy Happiness and Neither Does Poverty," by T. Alexander Anderson. You should check it out. This book pretty much gives financial advices.
Nicki