Tuesday, September 16, 2008




I was standing for the train and waiting like every other day-listening to my music, thinking about my night, and my day. All of a sudden I hear a people gasping and group of people in a circle. All of a sudden the circle dissolves and men are jumping onto the track---as the train blares its horn. All I could think “oh my gosh…what’s going on?” This is when I see a woman who has fallen onto the tracks. This old woman covered in a scarf, maybe she was somalian, has fallen on to the tracks and she is not moving. Her shoes have been thrown-- one on the platform and another on the tracks. About five guys dressed in business suits, their lap top bag across their shoulders, jump in. They scoop her up and bystanders get her back to consciousness. One man after putting the woman back on the platform picks up her things, that also fell with the woman. After gathering the woman’s items he jumps back up to safety.

This made me realize how wonderful we human beings are. We’ll jump after danger for someone we never met before, someone that doesn’t even look like us or even speak our language. We react to danger of another person and we don’t turn our face to ignore it. The men and the bystanders who assisted this woman are heroes in my eyes. The human spirit is powerful, lifting, and loving. We just have to remember it.


No comments: